Prep Time : 15 Min | Cook Time : 45 Min | Ready : 1 Hr.
- Fresh parsley.
- 8 fresh mussels (debearded and cleaned).
- 1 sachet Spanish saffron in powder form.
- 1 cup round rice.
- Sea salt.
- 1/2 cup tomato puree.
- Black pepper.
- 12 raw jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined).
- 1/2 red bell pepper.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin Spanish olive oil.
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika.
- 2 1/2 cups fish broth.
- 1/2 onion.
- 1 cleaned tube of squid.
- 3 cloves garlic.
How to Cook :
- First of all you have to cut all your ingredients dice 1/2 of an onion, mince 3 cloves of garlic,cut 1 large cleaned tube of squid into small squares, and dice 1/2 of a red bell pepper and the last reserve 12 raw jumbo shrimp that peeled and deveined 8 fresh cleaned mussels
- Heat a paella pan or large frying pan with a medium-high heat and add 1/3 cup of extra virgin Spanish olive oil, once the oil get’s hot season it with sea salt and add the cut squid into the pan, mix it around and cook for 2 minutes after remove the squid from the pan and set it aside add the onions and garlic into the pan and mix with the oil, after 1 minute add the red bell pepper mix and cook for 3 minutes, then add 1/2 cup of tomato puree, season everything with a generous 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika, a generous pinch of sea salt and a hint of freshly cracked black pepper, continue to cook for 2 minutes, then add the squid back into the pan, add 2 1/2 cups of fish broth and the saffron, gently mix everything together.
- Once the broth comes to a boil after just add 1 cup of round rice to the pan and then gently distribute the rice throughout the pan with a wooden spoon, do not mix the rice, after 5 minutes of cooking add the shrimp and the mussels, cook for another 5 minutes and then lower the fire to a low-medium heat [don’t mix the rice after this point you can give the pan a quick shake once in a while]
- When it’s simmered for 10 minutes and there is very little broth left, turn the fire back to a medium-high heat for 1 minute, this technique is to make the socarrat [burnt rice on the bottom of the pan] then turn off the heat, cover the paella pan completely and let it rest between 5-7 minutes
- Now uncover the paella garnish with freshly chopped parsley and a couple of lemon.